Malvern City FC (MCFC) is committed to providing a safe, healthy, family friendly and successful sport environment. All members of the Club have a responsibility to ensure that they take reasonable care to protect their own health and safety and that of others whilst in this environment by not being affected by alcohol or other drugs to the extent that it impacts on their own or another person’s recreational enjoyment or safety.
For the purpose of this Policy, the MCFC defines alcohol and drugs as follows:
- “Alcohol” refers to any beverage, containing an alcoholic content that temporarily impairs a person’s physical or mental capacity.
- “Drugs” refers to a chemical substance, whether it is legal or illegal, which may have the ability to impair a person’s physical or mental capacity.
- “Member” refers to any playing or social member associated with the insert club here, whether financial (fee-paying) or not.
ILLICIT DRUGS AND THEIR EFFECTS
Steroids (Anabolic Androgenic Steroids)
The effects of intoxication and the regular use of or dependence on alcohol or other drugs are associated with impaired judgement and skills, reduced concentration, erratic behaviour, aggression and violence, absenteeism and increased accidents. These behaviours and activities may seriously affect member safety and ethical standards within the insert club here.
Members who have concerns about playing or associating with any other playing or social member due to possible alcohol or other drug use should consult with the President of MCFC or Team Manager to Club Official immediately.
All members of MCFC are prohibited from selling, distributing, manufacturing, possessing or consuming drugs when on the premises of the insert club here or at any club function. Alcohol will not be consumed by a player whilst he/she is engaged in a game.
Playing members are prohibited from arriving to a match or returning to a match from any break under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
The right of members to consume alcohol is acknowledged, however it is inappropriate to do so at the insert club here as it places others at risk of harm and brings MCFC and it’s ‘family friendly’ environment into disrepute. Therefore, the MCFC here reserves the right to take action if a member is:
- affected by alcohol or other drugs, so as to endanger their own safety or the safety of any other person in the during the course of a match or club function;
- found in the possession of drugs or unauthorised drug use equipment on the MCFC premises; or
- affected by alcohol or other drugs, so that the member’s performance is affected
- known to be acknowledging significant use or involvement in production of illegal drugs or alcohol via friendship groups, social media, playing groups or family.
Should these issues be brought to the attention any of the insert club here Committee members or coaching staff, the MCFC may take the following action, enacted by any member of the Committee or coaching staff after appropriate and confidential discussion:
- Immediately approach the member to discuss the issue and its implications
- suspend the player/member from matches or club functions where appropriate until the matter is resolved to the satisfaction of the committee and coaching staff
- remove the member from club functions if they pose a risk to themselves or others.
- Immediately contact emergency services if there is suspicion of a drug overdose at any club function
- counsel the player internally regarding their use of alcohol or drugs
- refer the player to appropriate organisations to address the misuse or abuse of illicit substances;
The MCFC reserves the right to search its premises for illicit drugs and confiscate the substance in question.
MEDICALLY PRESCRIBED DRUGS
In circumstances where a club member is taking medically prescribed drugs to manage a specific condition that may interfere with their playing performance, they are required to notify their coach. The coach, in consultation with the player, may make adjustments to the match requirements of the player concerned.
It Is recognised that after match and weekend functions organised by the club might involve the consumption of alcohol. It is expected that club members consume alcohol responsibility at these times. Use of drugs at these functions is prohibited by the Club.
Should it come to the attention of committee members that drugs are being consumed at these times, action will be taken as previously described.
Should players or members be significantly intoxicated due to alcohol use at club functions, the insert club here reserves the right to remove the member from any club function.
DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE
In accordance with the Liquor Licensing Act and Victorian law, members of the insert club here are not permitted to drive a vehicle, whether their own or not, when that person has consumed alcohol or other drugs. The MCFC here will accept no liability for any damage to a vehicle, injury to any person, or damage or injury to any third party, incurred while the driver of a vehicle is in breach of this Act or the law. All liabilities will rest with the driver concerned.